Before the turn of the century Hahn’s Peak was crawling with Gold and Silver Mining Camps. In 1875, John Farwell purchased many of the claims and built a town, a wagon road to ship in a sawmill, and a 15 mile ditch to bring water for hydraulic sluicing. After mining for a short period of time without any luck, Farwell sold the operation to Robert McIntosh, who then found significant amounts of gold within only two months. The peak became riddled with tunnels from people looking for the elusive lode. Later a daily stage from Steamboat catered to the new merchants arriving in crowds to Hahn’s Peak. Today, Hahn’s peak still has a network of mines, some hidden, some still identifiable. Adventurers still hike to the top passing mine shafts along the way.